The Kansas Small Hospital Improvement Program (SHIP) is a federal-supported program to support small rural hospitals activities related to quality improvement and investments towards meaningful use of health information technology.
The Kansas SHIP is managed by the by State Office of Rural Health within the Bureau of Community Health Systems (BCHS) at the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. KDHE has contracted with Healthworks to administer this program. The SHIP is funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy in the Health Resources and Services Administration.
2022-2023 Grant Year Documents
- FY 2022 SHIP Allowable Investment_ Final
- MBQIP Measures/Deadlines Chart – White Background – for printing
2021-2022 Grant Year Documents
- 2021-2022 SHIP Expense Report Year End – Due June 30, 2022
- MBQIP Measures/Deadlines Chart
- 2022 BLANK SHIP and MBQIP Quality Information
- SHIP Purchasing Menu FY21
- FY 2021 SHIP Allowable Investments Final
- SHIP agreement with hospitals FY21
- 2021-2022 SHIP Expense Report Mid Year
How does the SHIP work?
Hospitals receive direct grant funds, ranging between $10,000 and $12,000, to use towards:
- Improving data collection activities in order to facilitate reporting to Hospital Compare.
- Maintaining accurate billing and coding systems.
- Building accountability across the continuum of care and improving care transitions between ambulatory and acute, acute to upstream acute and acute to step-down facility.
- Improving quality outcomes. Focus on activities that support QI such as reduction of medical errors as well as education and training in data collection and reporting and bench marking.
Who is Eligible for SHIP grants?
To be eligible for these grants, a hospital must be: 1) 49 available beds or less, as reported on the hospital’s most recently filed Medicare Cost Report; 2) in a rural area, (located outside a Metropolitan Statistical Area or located in a rural census tract of a MSA as determined under the Goldsmith Modification); and 3) defined as a non-Federal, short-term, general acute care facility.
Click on the links below to listen to the recordings and view the slides of the SHIP Quarterly Webinars. To register for the next SHIP Quarterly Webinar on September 15, 2022, go to https://registration.kha-net.org/.
Click on the links below for additional resources: