The Kansas Small Hospital Improvement Program (SHIP) is a federal-supported program to support small rural hospitals activities related to quality improvement and investments towards meaningful use of health information technology.
The Kansas SHIP is managed by the by State Office of Rural Health within the Bureau of Community Health Systems (BCHS) at the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. KDHE has contracted with KHERF to administer this program for FY19. The SHIP is funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy in the Health Resources and Services Administration.
2020-2021 Grant Year Documents
- SHIP agreement with hospitals FY20 fillable
- SHIP agreement with hospitals FY20 Word version
- MBQIP Measures/Deadlines Chart
- 2020 BLANK SHIP and MBQIP Quality Information
How does the SHIP work?
Hospitals receive direct grant funds, ranging between $8,000 and $10,000, to use towards:
- Improving data collection activities in order to facilitate reporting to Hospital Compare.
- Maintaining accurate billing and coding systems.
- Building accountability across the continuum of care and improving care transitions between ambulatory and acute, acute to upstream acute and acute to step-down facility.
- Improving quality outcomes. Focus on activities that support QI such as reduction of medical errors as well as education and training in data collection and reporting and bench marking.
Who is Eligible for SHIP grants?
To be eligible for these grants, a hospital must be: 1) 49 available beds or less, as reported on the hospital’s most recently filed Medicare Cost Report; 2) in a rural area, (located outside a Metropolitan Statistical Area or located in a rural census tract of a MSA as determined under the Goldsmith Modification); and 3) defined as a non-Federal, short-term, general acute care facility.
Click on the links below to listen to the recordings and view the slides of the SHIP Quarterly Webinars. To register for the next SHIP Quarterly Webinar on December 15, 2020, go to https://registration.kha-net.org/.
September 17, 2020 Recording is not available and Slides
March 17, 2020 Recording is not available and Slides
Click on the links below for additional resources: